For this, I am using Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5, and all credit goes to Koush, the man behind the Root and the amazing ROM Manager…. all I am doing is clarifying some of the instructions so mac users that aren’t familiar with terminal can root their devices easier.
NOTE: By doing this, you accept that rooting your device MAY void your warranty, and and may BRICK your device. Procede with caution, and I can not be held responsible for anything that may happen to your device. You should also NEVER accept an OTA update put out by Motorola or Verizon… this could just make you loose your root…. or it could brick your device.
- # Download the XOOM root zip.
- # Download the Android SDK.
- # Download Fastboot
- # Unzip h packages wherever. Put the contents of “XOOM root” and “SDK Readme” in the “tools” folder of the Android SDK.
- # Now open up Terminal, change your director to where your Android SDK is, and then go to the Tools folder. And now you are going to type this:
- ./adb reboot bootloader ((skip the next 3 steps if you have already unlocked via fastboot))
- ./fastboot oem unlock
- # wait for reboot
- #On your XOOM’s display, you should see a warning message asking if you want to continue unlocking your device. Doing so will void the warranty. Press the volume down button until it states “Yes“, then press the volume up button to beginning unlocking. Wait for a reboot.
- #Once your Motorola XOOM has rebooted, connect to a Wi-Fi network or Verizon’s network, but avoid setting up a Google account on your new Android tablet. Then, go to Settings > Applications > Development and enable USB Debugging. Once you have done that, continue to the next step:
- ./adb reboot bootloader
- ./fastboot-mac flash boot rootboot.img
- ./fastboot-mac reboot
- # wait for reboot
- ./adb remount
- ./adb push su /system/bin/
- ./adb push su /system/xbin/
- ./adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- ./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
Welcome to the rooted club! Now you just reboot your device, and you are rooted!
I will be posting more guides in the coming days… watch out for more!